Google maps w/ satellite imagery

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Apr 11 14:12:13 EDT 2005

Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Serving several million maps a day will be faster using predefined
> tiles. Conceded. Those maps have to be put together with some piece of
> software all the same. Why not get the Google map developers to join
> Open Source GIS dev instead of having them reinvent the wheel in a way
> we cant use. Google already has opened itself a little to the OS
> community (maybe because they are not that large at all).
>
> If those maps are created without following any open standards but some
> Google standards and become an integral part of our geo websphere then
> we will not get rid of them any more.

okay, I think I see where you're coming from now. It's probably true
that Google could have made a huge difference if they had put their
efforts in open source / open standards instead of taking the approach
they've taken. Maybe you should be preaching to them.  ;)

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca