seeking info on drawing great circle arcs

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 12 12:46:47 EDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 12:38 PM, Joseph Bussell <joe at otsys.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>    Is there a way to plot great circle arcs?  I am presently attempting
> this by adding line features via Perl Mapscript.  The lines I end up
> getting are Euclidean as far as I can tell.  I can discretize my polygon
> into small sub-segments, but that seems a bit heavy handed.

Joe,

When mapserver reprojects lines it never introduced extra points.
This can result in quite large divergence in the case of long
line segments.

If you are using reprojection to turn straight lines into great circle
arcs, you will need to subdivide the original lines in advance.

There is no specific support for plotting great circles in mapserver.

Best regards,