Symbols in mapserver

Geoff Rowland geoffrey.rowland at NOAA.GOV
Fri Apr 15 12:25:43 EDT 2005

Hi,

Can someone explain to me how symbols work in MapServer?  I am looking at the code here that I see on the Wiki. What is 'phone' in the code below?  can this just be a .gif image?  I saw some code on creating symbols (in this case, a star) but I would like to use premade images if possible.

LAYER
    NAME "INLINE"
    TYPE POINT
    STATUS ON
   CLASS
       NAME "0"
       STYLE
         COLOR 255 0 0 # red
         MAXSIZE 300 # default 50
         SYMBOL 'phone' #In my case was a nice phone image symbol
         SIZE 16
       END #style
   END #class
 END #layer