Transparent PNG files...

James Sohr jms4 at PO.CWRU.EDU
Tue Apr 19 09:49:58 EDT 2005

I've sometimes had problems getting PNGs do display transparency using
the "Transparent" keyword with an index-- even when I specify the proper
index, the specified color doesn't become transparent.

The best solution I've found is to ensure the PNG was saved natively with
transparency.  I'm not sure how it would be done in Paint Shop Pro, but in
Photoshop you can save the PNG as a transparent PNG file and can even
specify the transparency color.  I can use this PNG in Mapserver fine--
the key is then to not use the "Transparent" keyword at all.

If you want, you can post a link to your PNG file and I'd be happy to
see if I can get it go transparent.

As far as GIF files goes, it might be that your version of mapserver
wasn't compiled with GIF support.  You can type  "mapserv -v" at the
command line (on Windows), or "./mapserv -v" at a shell prompt to find
out.

HTH,
  James