UNIX Fonts?

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at CBS.UMN.EDU
Thu Apr 21 01:33:18 EDT 2005

Bob,

If you are using the core Microsoft fonts (arial, times new roman, courier
new, verdana, etc.) then you can copy those fonts to your Unix machine.  You
might want to have a look at Microsoft's license on the use of their fonts.
I don't know about the licenses of any other Windows truetype fonts so you
also might want to go back and read them before you make copies.  In general,
many of these licenses only prevent you from modifying the fonts and/or
selling them--no problem since you're only using it to display labels.

There are some free (I'm using the word loosely) fonts that you can use on
Unix/Linux--Bitstream has the Vera fonts which is used by Gnome
(http://www.gnome.org/fonts/), SIL International has Gentium
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_download),
Bigelow and Holmes has the Luxi fonts, and there are others.

The use of truetype fonts in MapServer is  the same for Windows as for
Unix/Linux and Mac.   You don't need to install them on a system directory
(e.g. /usr/share/fonts c:\windows\fonts) but you can put them in some other
directory along with your MapServer font list (see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/fontset.html).

Cheers!
-Perry

--
Pericles S. Nacionales

Dept. of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
University of Minnesota
work: 612 624 6713
e-mail: nacional at cbs.umn.edu