controling the number of symbols displayed using php mapscript

Jeff Portwine jdport at VERITIME.COM
Fri Apr 22 09:03:14 EDT 2005

I don't know about controlling the number of them specifically, but you can
set the "buffer" value and the "mindistance" value to keep them from
cluttering.   The BUFFER value tells how many pixels you want to be between
two symbols, and the MINDISTANCE value tells how many pixels you want
between instances of the same symbol.    So if you set:

    BUFFER  5
    MINDISTANCE 300

You will see at least 5 pixels separating two symbols in that layer, and you
will see at least
300 pixels between instances of the same symbol... by instances of the same
symbol I mean for example if you are labeling streets, you won't see a
particular street name twice right next too each other, there will be at
least 300 pixels between the two istances of that street name.

Hope that helps,
Jeff