global mapping issues with orthographic projection

Ken Tanaka ken.tanaka at NOAA.GOV
Fri Apr 22 19:20:38 EDT 2005

We would like to use MapServer to generate continent and country/state
outlines for satellite images. Currently we are looking for image overlays
from MMS for Geostationary full disk and sub-areas.

At the moment we are having some troubles with a "starburst" of stray
feature lines that can be seen in this URL:

http://gdsg.ngdc.noaa.gov/starburst/

Our current approach is to generate the lines with MMS, and then use a
separate step to merge the data (satellite image) with the outlines image,
and produce the composite image seen in the above URL.

I have seen a couple of references that look like they are describing this
problem in

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WorldMappingIssues

see "Linework:" near the bottom of the MapServerWiki page, and

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0401/msg00569.html

Does anyone know of any recent work in this area, or hopefully of a new
solution I haven't run accross yet?

Thanks,
Ken Tanaka