Zooming to match a raster scale

Nick Dabner dabner at OPTUSNET.COM.AU
Sun Apr 24 08:38:34 EDT 2005

Hello list,

I have a set of raster geotiffs tiled and working on mapserver 4.2 on
osx (thanks to william k).

When viewing the rasters in mapserver, I find they suffer from some
slight scaling and never look anywhere near as good as the original
files. I have given dithering and PNG24 a go, but see that I probably
need to match my mapserver session's scale as close as possible to the
source data scale. Does this sound right?

Using CGI mapserver, how can I specify an exact viewing area (to match
my calculations)? What argument would I choose.

Attemping to pass IMGEXT=2482199.076569 4407814.492404 2484230.3854232
4406291.0107634 just returns an extent error. Oh, I am in Melb Aust, so
these are real coords.

Any other ideas? The next step would probably be fixed zoom levels for
street, area, suburb, municipality and city or similar, with
preprocessed rasters for each level.

regards,

Nick