different tiling methods

Tim Tsai ttsai at POBOX.COM
Wed Apr 27 11:47:42 EDT 2005

I had asked the same question earlier in the shp2tile thread.

My guess is that if you are already using shptree and tileindex,
shp2tile will give you some performance advantage but not significantly
so.  The main thing that shp2tile does is to balance out your data so
you take advantage of the underlying cluster effect.  shp2tile WOULD
have a huge performance advantage if you are not using shptree on
the underlying shapefiles though.

I could be wrong but that appears to me the difference.

Tim