tiling shape files, or shptree [resolved]

Dylan Beaudette dylan at IICI.NO-IP.ORG
Wed Apr 27 14:35:59 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 04:55 pm, Schuyler Erle wrote:
> * On 27-Apr-2005 at  2:44AM PDT, Tim Tsai said:
> >   Is there a significant performance difference between using
> > shptree/tileindex and shp2tile/tile2index?  Since shptree already uses
> > quadtrees, I imagine the main performance difference is to minimize
> > seeks on the data?
>
> My experience is that MapServer doesn't scale well with large
> shapefiles, even when quadtrees are built. I would like to know why
> that is, personally, but I can attest that shp2tile + tileindex scales
> much better with large datasets.
>
> SDE

Thanks to everyone for their input.

After using Steve's great shp2tile program, AND building quadtree indexes on
all of the resulting shape files, I have noticed a very large improvement in
map rendering speed.

One small note: Steve - i might be a good idea to include a note on your
webpage about shp2tile needing the libshp include files.

thanks!

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis