Installing Python Mapscript on Windows XP

Bas Vanmeulebrouk bvanmeul at EBE.UCT.AC.ZA
Thu Apr 28 05:16:54 EDT 2005

Hi list,

I have been trying to get Python Mapscript up and running on MS Windows XP,
but I haven't succeeded yet. I have downloaded the binaries at
http://hobu.stat.iastate.edu/mapserver/. When I start Python from the
directory in which I have installed Python, Mapscript works fine. However,
if I start Python from another directory, I get the following error message
when I try import mapscript at the Python command line: "The procedure entry
point ?SetnextByIndex at OGRLayer@@UAEHJ at Z could not be located in the dynamic
link library gdal12.dll.".

I have found four copies of gdal12.dll on my machine. I have been
exeprimenting with the PATH environment variable, I have renamed the various
dll's, but the message stays the same.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

Kind regards,

Bas Vanmeulebrouk.