AW: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] AW: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] slighty OT: new hardware for a mapserver application

Frank Broniewski Frank.Broniewski at MNHA.ETAT.LU
Wed Aug 10 04:14:20 EDT 2005

Thanks alot for all the helpful answers. Though my next question is
(also) somewhat offtopic for the mapserver list, I will ask it anyways
:-)

How do you deal with the relationship of polygons when they are stored
in a postgis-table? E.g. you have several levels of administrative
units. How do you get to the information which smaller level of adm.
unit belongs to the upper level of adm. unit? Right now I use the
classical approach and have ids and parentids and with them I determine
the father and child elements. But when you have postgis, you can do
something like intersect to find all smaller adm. units of a higher
level adm. unit. Which one do you prefer?

I ask, because I have lots of data which have father-child relations
like mentioned above, and so I'm very interested in how other people
handle this.

Greetings from Luxembourg

Frank Broniewski
Musée National d'Histoire et d'Art