SDE sites

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Wed Aug 10 14:29:40 EDT 2005

Kevin,

MapServer and ArcSDE/Oracle has been working quite well for me for a number
of years.  I also have maintained the MapServer SDE driver for a couple of
years and added a few extra features like versioned layer queries which
ArcIMS doesn't even support.  The SDE C API abstracts away the database for
the most part, and it doesn't matter if Oracle, MSSQL, or Informix are
actually behind SDE.  Did you have a specific question, or were you just
wondering whether or not it worked?

There are some features that are not there yet (and might never
be).  Attribute joins are on the wishlist, but I've found it is much
easier, simpler, and faster to use sdeview to create a view for something
that I would want to join.  QueryByShape is not supported, but the
impending implementation of WKT support in MapServer should make its
development quite easy (SDE C API supports exporting and importing to and
from WKT/WKB).  DirectConnect and Geodatabase functionality are not
natively supported by the SDE C API and are not supported by
MapServer.  There is also experimental SDE raster support, but as far as I
know, I'm the only one to ever get it to actually work :( (and I don't use
it any sort of production sense... tiled overviewed tiffs on the filesystem
are much better).

I also maintain a set of windows binaries at
<http://hobu.stat.iastate.edu/mapserver> that you can use with the SDE 9.0
DLLs to try MapServer SDE support.

Howard