nearest feature

Miguel Gonçalves mgoncalves at DSI.UMINHO.PT
Thu Aug 11 05:22:02 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am using MapServer in order to build a local-based context application.
I use a mapfile with several layers ansd I use a WFS request to get the
geographical information  related to a given point.
Normally I use a request of this type:
http://mapserv.exe?MAP=mymap.map&
                             SERVICE=wfs&
                             VERSION=1.0.0&
                             REQUEST=getFeature&
                             TYPENAME={all the layers}&
                             BBOX=-8.418000,41.539600,-8.418000,41.539600

My problem is when the point that I pass in the BBOX does not coincides
geographically with any geographic feature in my map.
In those cases, is it possible, for each layer, to get the nearest feature?
You see what I mean? If I pass the point (x,y) in the BBOX and the
nearest feature to (x,y), in a given  layer, is  located  in (a,b),
is there any type of interface that gives (a,b) as result?