Linux, Mapserver and ECW file

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 13 09:39:52 EDT 2005

On 8/13/05, Gianfranco Brescia <ajfrank at alice.it> wrote:
> Hi to all!
> First I've to apologize for my English, I'm an Italian student of GIS.
> My operative system is linux (Slackware 10.1)and I've installed mapserver
> with gdal ad other staff...
> My problem is that when I put a ecw file in the map file a cannot see it!
> While the other raster file (tiff for example render very good), the ecw
> file render nothing. I've the world file with the ecw file and the path is
> right.
> Is ecw a native support for mapserver or do I have to install staff like
> erMapper: if so can someone tell me a how to install it with gdal; I've
> read some in internet but seem to be a little difficult.
> Thanks very much and sorry again for bad English.

Gianfranco,

ECW support in GDAL is optional, and depends on inclusion
of the ERMapper ECW SDK.  I would add that it is still fairly
challenging to get the SDK built on Linux, and incorporate
various bug fixes needed for safe use on Linux.

You might consider either waiting for a final 3.2 release of the
ECW SDK (rolling in an easier build mechanism, and some
bug fixes) or consider using a prebuilt distribution like the FWTools
binaries for Linux which include ECW support.

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Best regards,