MapServer vs. Deegree

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 15 11:01:55 EDT 2005

On 8/12/05, Craig Miller <craig.miller at spatialminds.com> wrote:
> Thanks Paul.  That's helpful.
>
> Is the FastCGI pooling done per process, or cross-process?
> Are there other items that could benefit from cross-process cacheing?  As a
> MapServer user, I'm curious as to how MapServer (CGI) compares to Degree
> (J2EE) too.

Craig,

FastCGI is a technology that basically keeps a "cgi process" alive,
and keeps feeding it new cgi requests.  Depending on your configuration
there may be several "cgi server" processes running with Apache
doling out requests to them.

The connection pooling implemented in MapServer is only within a given
process, so you will generally be consuming as many connections as
you have fastcgi server proecesses running.

There are indeed a variety of other things in mapserver that could
benefit from cross-request caching but it isn't clear that in the general
case any of them would make a signifiant difference so we haven't
pursued the issue.

Best regards,