Oracle Spatial vs. PostgreSQL/PostGIS

Fernando Siimon fsimon at UNIVALI.BR
Fri Aug 19 08:40:35 EDT 2005

Hi,
    This question we did when we started to develop using
PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
    The first thing that you can check is the time to return the results
of query's, PostgreSQL is more quickly (using geom too), but an Oracle
with a good tunning can be very close of the PostgreSQL performance.
Exist others parameters that you need to check before to choose the data
base. The architecture of Oracle is more complex(redo logs, archives
log, PGA, indexes...) than PostgreSQL and it will impact in the
performance, but Oracle is much more secure than PostgreSQL. I believe
that the security is a factor that you need to consider.
    For spatial data the crucial difference between te DB's is how they
implement the support of data, Oracle/Oracle Spatial  use a Object
Oriented to store the geom data and contains many complex spatial
functions and operators, Oracle Spatial contains many functions that you
can use to obtain the same result, you can choose the appropriate for
your scope. PostgreSQL/PostGIS don't use this way to store geom data,
and contain many spatial functions too. Of course that sintax of two DB
for the functions is different, but the result if you apply in your data
will be the same.
    It's always a hard decision, the correct DB needs to considerate
many other factors, here we use the two DB and have good return of both.
PostgreSQL/PostGIS is a good database, im my opinion is the best
opensource database. Oracle is a good database too, I belive that is the
best database at the momment.
    Thanks.

Fernando Simon
Mapserver and Oracle Spatial developer
G10 - Laboratorio de Computacao Aplicada - Brazil
http://g10.cttmar.univali.br - UNIVALI/CTTMAR