unable to get mapserver demo (itasca) working

Craig Feuerherdt Craig.Feuerherdt at DSE.VIC.GOV.AU
Wed Aug 24 00:49:11 EDT 2005

I have installed mapserver 4.4.1 under apache 2.0.54
I downloaded the itasca3.5 demo and edited  all the files as required. I
go to the initialization page (http://localhost/itasca/demo_init.html)
which works fine. When I click on the initalize button an error is return
- getString(): Symbol definition error. Duplicate item (NAME):(line 381)
In the demo.map file I noticed that the LAYER definition for the
mcd90py2_anno is incorrect as there are two references to NAME. Looking at
other LAYER definitions I deterime that the second reference to NAME
should be changed to GROUP. I make the change and attempt to start the
application once more, but when clicking the initialize button again an
error is returned

mapserv.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x77f88216" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The
memory could not be "written".

This error is also returned if I attempt to remove the whole LAYER
definition.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and why the application
error is being returned.
Thanks in advance.

Craig Feuerherdt