Mapserver - Autodesk: hostile takeover, merger of equals or what?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Dec 6 10:30:27 EST 2005

Andre Karp wrote:

> In the beginning, there were two players: the UMN Mapserver people and the
> Autodesk people. The UMN Mapserver people were using and developing a
> software which is, from a technical point of view, the fastest and most
> stable webmapping-technolgy existing so far. The Autodesk people had -
> sorry, I don't want to offend someone, but this is my opinion based on my
> experience working with different kinds of GIS Software for many years - a
> software which was not really competitive, neither against the technical
> superiority of the UMN Mapserver nor against the commercial predominance of
> ESRI ArcIMS.

I don't think anyone suggested that you or anyone should switch, but it
would be wise to give it a try before assuming that it's no good.

For instance, here is an independent and unsollicited review of the
source by Paul Ramsey:

http://lists.burri.to/pipermail/geowanking/2005-December/002190.html

Or even just watch the comments of those who did give it a try on the
MSE-users list. You'll see that it's not all negative feedback, far from
that:
http://mapserverfoundation.org/mapserver_enterprise/mailing_lists.html

With respect to the naming issue, Steve already answered in another email.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca