Disappearing Point Layers, broken html legend

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 9 19:34:55 EST 2005

Hi List,

I have a couple issues with MapServer 4.6.1 and 4.8.0beta2.

I am running MapServer CGI on Windows 2003 Server,   MapServer with
all DLL's have been setup as a web extention in IIS. Each version of
MapServer i have installed has been kept separate this way to avoid
dll problems.

I'll report the issues as bugs over the weekend, but for now I'm
looking for anyone who has encountered these issues and worked around
them,  I'm surprised I haven't seen these issues posted by anyone
else, so hopefully its just some faulty syntax on my part.

1.  This first one isn't a mapserver issue, but rather a tip ...
payment for you taking the time to read this crazy message.

Shapefiles created directly from DWG by ArcMap 9.1 often contain
geometry errors. Using the 'repair geometry' tool in ArcToolBox will
fix them.  The errors seem to cause odd effects, from the map failing
if only a bad layer is turned on, to the infamous randomly occuring
CGI error - incomplete http headers.

2. Failing map legend
- in a legend added to the web page using an HTML Legend Template, the
legend icon (added to the legend template using the [leg_icon] tag)
for polygon layers fails to generate. Usually this crashes the
generation of the entire legend, nothing is placed by the [legend] tag
in my HTML template. Actually nothing more at all is added by
MapServer when this happens, not even the output from using DEBUG ON.

Occasionally instead of the legend crashing, the 'broken image'  icon
is seen in place of the icon for a polygon layer, and the rest of the
legend is generated as normal.  When this happens, the legend icon
image file is generated but is 1byte in size.

This is happening consistantly for me with different polygon
shapefiles.  The problem never happened with MapServer 4.4 and
earlier.

3.  I have a few point shapefiles in a map with only a few layers.
The point layers fail to draw as you zoom in, as if there has been a
MINSCALE set for each when there has not been. The scale at which each
layer disappears is different but it is happening generally at 1:1000
or less.  There does not appear to be anything else in the mapfile to
prevent the layers from drawing.

I've included my mapfile at the end of the email.

And an oldie but a goodie ..

4.  In my layer query results templates I often add a 'snapshot' of
the feature that has been queried ... a small map image generated by
mapserver using an image who's source is a URL to mapserver with the
necessary parameters appended. These fail to generate, in an
inconsistant manner. They where never a problem back in the MapServer
3.6 days, but have caused problems for me since roughly 4.0.

Here is my mapfile reffering to points 2 and 3, thanks for your time!

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC

MAP

NAME "removed"
STATUS ON
SIZE 500 400
EXTENT 598450 5482345 600650 5484205
UNITS meters
SHAPEPATH "removed"
IMAGECOLOR 230 230 230

IMAGETYPE jpeg

OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME jpeg
  DRIVER "GD/JPEG"
  FORMATOPTION "QUALITY=98"
  MIMETYPE "image/jpeg"
  IMAGEMODE "RGB"
  EXTENSION "jpg"
END

# This is present so that a non-interlaced jpg is created for Flash to display
# This tag will not work inside the jpeg outputformat
INTERLACE OFF

FONTSET   "fonts/fonts.txt"
SYMBOLSET "symbols/symbols.txt"

TEMPLATEPATTERN "removed"

PROJECTION
  "init=EPSG:26910"
END

WEB
  ERROR "../MapServer/error.html"
  EMPTY "../MapServer/results/empty_results.html"
  TEMPLATE  void #"set elsewhere.htm"
  HEADER "results/results_header.html"
  FOOTER "results/results_footer.html"
  MAXSCALE 100000
  IMAGEPATH "C:/removed/web/temp/"
  IMAGEURL "/removed/temp/"
  LOG "C:/removed/MS_LOG.txt"
  METADATA
    "title" "Map Layer"
    "abstract" "This is a MapServer application."
    "srs" "init=EPSG:26910"
  END
END

LEGEND