AW: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] gdal and jgp issues

Frank Broniewski Frank.Broniewski at MNHA.ETAT.LU
Wed Dec 14 04:20:00 EST 2005

Hello all

Thank you very much for your kind help, though the tips I received
didn't help me much. But I installed Fwtools to replace my old gdal
version 1.14 with the newest one, and now it works.

Thanks again for the feedback

Frank Broniewski
Musée National d'Histoire et d'Art
Section Préhistoire / Projet EPC
    Tél: +352 260 281-21
241, Rue de Luxembourg
L-8077 Bertrange

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] Im
Auftrag von Frank Broniewski
Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2005 13:45
An: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Betreff: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] gdal and jgp issues

Hello list

I have a problem which is only little related with mapserver, but maybe
someone can help me.

I have orthofotos in tif-format with a worldfile (tfw) and i want them
for transportation reasons (a presentation) to be converted from
tif-format to jpeg-format. I used irfanview to batch-convert all
tif-files into jpg-format. After that, I renamed all tfw-files to .jgw.

After doing so, I tested if everything went well. I added the new
created jpg-files into Arc and they fitted well on to their right place
in the world. But I want to use the files with mapserver, so I made an
additional test with gdalinfo. But there seems to be a problem, because
gdalinfo returns only the pixeldimensions and not the real world
coordinates. I renamed the .jgw into .wld but this didn't help me
either. The converted jpgs have the same dimension as the tif-images,
from whose I get the expected dimension by the way.

Has anyone an idea whats going wrong?

for clarification reasons, here is the gdalinfo output:

c:\karten\cds\cadastre\ortho_lowres>gdalinfo 2001-0048-0107-50.jpg
Driver: JPEG/JPEG JFIF
Size is 2000, 2000
Coordinate System is `'
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0, 2000.0)
Upper Right ( 2000.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 2000.0, 2000.0)
Center      ( 1000.0, 1000.0)
Band 1 Block=2000x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
  Min=0.000/0, Max=255.000/0
Band 2 Block=2000x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
  Min=0.000/0, Max=255.000/0
Band 3 Block=2000x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
  Min=0.000/0, Max=255.000/0

And here is the output from the tif-file:

c:\karten\cds\cadastre\ortho>gdalinfo 2001-0048-0107-50.tif
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Size is 2000, 2000
Coordinate System is `'
Origin = (48000.000000,107000.000000)