Foundation and Mapserver MAP file manag e tool

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Dec 15 09:17:39 EST 2005

On 12/15/05, Gregory S. Williamson <gsw at globexplorer.com> wrote:
> The readability of binary combined with the terseness of ASCII.

Greg,

I love that line.

> That said, XML might give some excellent options in communicating map data to other systems, GIS or not. The database would more less transportable, but perhaps would gain in some other ways (ACID aspects, internal safety/sanity checks, etc.). Such a db interface would want to use fairly limited SQL to support various databases such a Postgres, Oracle, MySQL, etc.
>
> In general I've found that any non-trivial map is semi-hard to edit and read, and tools to help automate map file production would be a great help. It would allow for more customization for different users, IMHO.

I would add that the other reason an XML format
would be convenient would be so that we could
literally embed some of the W*S capabilities info
right in the configuration in the same XML format
it will appear in the capabilities document.

However, converting MapServer to an XML mapfile
format will be a substantial amount of work, and if
backward ".map" compatibility were not preserved, it
would be very disruptive to existing mapserver users
and applications.  This is the sort of project that is not
so easily funded.

Best regards,