MapserverXML?

Lester Caine lester at LSCES.CO.UK
Fri Dec 16 03:04:34 EST 2005

Larry Shaffer wrote:

> This is a continuation of the 'Foundation and Mapserver MAP file manag e
> tool' thread ...
>
> Being a new guy to Mapserver, but not XML, I was somewhat shocked that
> such a Web-centric application didn't have an XML format for its base (or
> transfer) document by now - so excuse me if this has been ranted about
> before. But, at the risk of opening a can of whoop-ass on myself...

Which came first ;)
Changing every working system *TO* XML is never going to happen and I
can give you a few examples of where attempts to 'enforce' it's use just
aren't happening.
That is not to say that it should not be available, but to be honest I
just don't see much advantage in taking the effort to 'built it in'. A
MAP file is nice and 'concise', the XML equivalent will always be
somewhat larger and the information contained no different.
We keep being asked - "Why isn't XML available in Firebird?" - and the
answer is "Because it adds nothing!". People who want XML data use a
middle layer that handles all the translation work, just like
JDBC,ODBC,PHP,etc., and access the database at the much more efficient
'RAW' layer.
I see Mapserver in much the same light, although XML could be used as
the 'RAW' layer, at some point you have to strip all the wrapping off
and end up with the instructions to create the map you want?
So while MapserverXML is undoubtedly required, the first question should
be - where does it fit in the tool tree.
If we are going to end up with two engines, then a common XML layer that
can work into either engine seems appropriate, even if it is another
diminution of effort :(

--
Lester Caine