Choosing the Choosers

Paul Spencer pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Sat Dec 17 12:56:38 EST 2005

I think this is a really key point and the participation should be
willing, not forced, to ensure that everyone is really committed to
this.

It is also important to understand that the MTSC or whatever subset/
superset of them would not be defining the Foundation but actually
participating with other stakeholders (i.e. Autodesk, DM
Solutions, ...) to define the Foundation.

I'm not sure this is really clear ...  The participation of a group
from the MapServer community in the definition of the Foundation is
to ensure the proposed foundation is one that MapServer would want to
join.

To me, Paul's proposal is about defining who, within the MapServer
community, can and should shoulder the responsibility of
participating in the definition of the proposed foundation.  From
that point of view, it seems to me that the people who will be most
affected by the governance and structure of the foundation are the
core contributors to the software - the MTSC.  The community will
also be affected, but if the contributors can't live with it, it
isn't going to happen.  If the contributors can live with it, does it
necessarily follow that the community will also be able to live with
it?  And if they can't?

I am starting to believe that from a user's point of view (that's me,
I'm not a developer of MapServer) it will actually make very little
difference to me in the long term since all I want to do is download
the software and build tools on top of it.  As long as the
contributors are happy that they can continue to develop and maintain
MapServer, I'm ambivalent about where the project lives.  I suspect
that the other ~1900 people on the mapserver-users mailing list that
we haven't heard from are probably in the same boat.  They don't
really care about these issues as long as MapServer continues to be a
kick-ass web-mapping platform and however the developers and
maintainers choose to run the project, good for them!

The members of the MTSC have earned their position based on the merit
of their contributions to the project.  They have also earned the
right to make decisions (as a group) on the future of the project on
behalf of the community of users.  If they know what's good for them,
they'll consult the community.  But in the end, they need to be the
ones to take the decision and we have to accept that they are acting
in the best interest of the project ...

I probably haven't expressed this well ...  Flame away :)

Paul