SPAM!!!: Re: SPAM!!!: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] SPAM!!!: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Shapefile to Mapfile

Sylvain Beorchia sbeorchia at GI-LEMANS.COM
Wed Dec 21 12:54:07 EST 2005

Hi,

When i say the shapefiles are yours, i mean that you know what's inside.
And of course there is a software to manage shapefile called ArcView (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcview/)
(ESRI is the creator of this format)
But you may build your own application using PHP, or the shapelib library.

Sylvain B.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Apeksha Bhambhani
  To: Sylvain Beorchia
  Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:42 PM
  Subject: SPAM!!!: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] SPAM!!!: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Shapefile to Mapfile

  Hi ,
   Thanks a lot.

  As you have mentioned that the shapefiles are ours , by that do you mean that we are supposed to create our own shapefiles. All this while , in order to practise , we have been downloading shapefiles and trying to write map files for them .

  So , is there a software to create a shapefile ?

  Waiting for your reply
  Apeksha

  Sylvain Beorchia <sbeorchia at GI-LEMANS.COM> wrote:
    Hi,

    "According to our knowledge , a shapefile consists of only one particular
    geometric shape."
    Yes, right.

    " The map file's function is to combine all the shapefiles together n their
    segregation into their respective layers. Plz validate this information. "
    Yes, if u want.

    If you have 3 shapefiles (one for the points, another for the line, and the
    last one for the polygons), then you have to describe three layer in your
    mapfile. The first one will be of type POINT and the DATA will point to the
    shapefile that contains the points...he second layer will be of type LINE

    "we want to know as to how do we know what are the contents of a shapefile "
    I don't understand what youe mean by that. The shapefiles are yours, so you
    know what's inside..., no ?

    "We know that shapefile is a combination of .shp , .shx and .dbf files.
    However how can we read the data from these files ."
    Well , mapserver will display the contents of the shapefiles (ie draw an
    image). If you want to read the attributes in the DBF file, then you have to
    write some PHP code...for example.

    Hope it will help you.

    Sylvain Beorchia