Poll: MapServer and Autodesk

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 22 21:12:02 EST 2005

To quote Gary and Tyler's letter:

"Autodesk will not be willing to put their investment into a
foundation that hides their name brand under the name of another
web-based mapping project"

How does 'MapServer Enterprise' not contradict this requirement?

The only way I see it not being a contradiction is if MapServer was an
Autodesk name brand.

It also ignores the well known MapGuide name. If the name brand is so
important why is it so easy to drop MapGuide?,  why not MapGuide Tux
by the Maptools (or whatever) Foundation, alongside MapServer by the
Maptools Foundation,  allowing you to protect your name brand as your
statement demands, and allowing MapServer to keep it's history intact
... and eliminating the confusion we've already seen out in the wild,
while at the same time allowing the two to work together for a common
good.

... I say it again, in my small, unimportant, and perhaps overly loud voice ...

Foundation = good, - good for MapServer, good for Autodesk.
Competition creates innovation and prevents stagnation.

Giving Autodesk the MapServer name = bad.  It has already lead to
confusion and therefore indirect competition between the two products
anyways.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC