USGS Urban coverage shapefile

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Feb 2 15:09:09 EST 2005

Thomas -

I don't know of a free one, but if you can find a free GIS desktop
client with WMS access and editing capabilities you could do it.
ArcView 9.0 (SP2) will do it, but it's about $1,500 away from being
"free".

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Thomas Chesky
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:04 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] USGS Urban coverage shapefile

Lowell, Stephen, Ed,

Thanks for the replies.
I'll try to contact USGS again.

In the meantime, is there a free GIS tool (preferrably on Windows) I
could use to
1) Get the WMS layer of a given USGS Urban ortho area
2) Use a "drawing" tool to draw the boundary myself and save that
polygon as shapefile?

It's manual labor, but better than not having exact coverage :-)

Thanks

Thomas

Lowell Filak <lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG> wrote:

        The following message was sent by Thomas Chesky
        on Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:18:12 -0800.

        > Hello,
        >
        > Does anybody know how to get the boundary of USGS Urban ortho
coverage
        in shapefile (or WKT etc.) format. I could only found the
coverage index
        in raster format on the USGS site (seamless.usgs.gov) I'd like
to be
        able to tell having a lat/lon coordinates whether it falls into
one of
        the Urban coverage areas. The USGS WMS server provides boudary
rectangle
        only (in GetCapabilities), which obviously will not solve my
problem as
        the coverages are not rectangles.

        > There must be something like this otherwise how could USGS
create the
        raster coverage index.

        > Any help is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thomas
        >
        > ps I emailed USGS as well but not yet received any reply

        Thomas,

        For our tiny neck of the woods we ended up digitizing the urban
areas we
        needed because we were never able to obtain anything but pdf's.
That was
        a couple of years ago so possibly things have changed.?

        Lowell

http://mail.yahoo.com