Edit Capabilities

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Fri Feb 4 06:10:36 EST 2005

Kristjan Annus wrote:
> Editing in the meaning of adding new objects to some layers can be done
> with PHP Mapscript.
> There are functions to write new shape objects to shpafiles or you can
> save the changes in
> some database like MySQL.
>
> Kristjan
>
>> On Feb 2, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Abe Gillespie wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any editing capabilities with MapServer?  I noticed the
>>> SWIG-based Mapscript has shapeObj::setValue() ... but I tried this last
>>> night and didn't get any permanent changes.  I'm using PostGIS, so that
>>> may be the culprit.  Or is there no editing capabilities at all
>>> whatever your data source is?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> -Abe
>>>

>> Abe,
>>
>> Editing is outside the scope of MapServer.  The setValue() method
>> exists only to set attribute values of shapeObjs prior to adding them
>> to a layer's inline feature array.  Once they are added to the layer,
>> no other modification is possible.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Sean
>>
>> --
>> Sean Gillies

Hi,
I would suggest to stick to OGC standards. Get a WFS-T running on top of
your PostGIS data with GeoServer (easy going) and use Mapbender to
create and edit GML (that one still needs a lot of testing and probably
some programming though - you are welcome to join the process). We'll
present this at the Open Geospatial '05.

If thats too much hassle for a starter you can already now use Mapbender
to directly store WKTs to the PostGIS data base. Somehow that is also
following OGC standards but certainly in a slightly queer interpretation.
There is a restriction regarding the architecture - it is required for
Mapbender to be installed within the realm of port 5432 of your PostGIS
box so that a PHP script can SQL directly to the database.

Best, Arnulf.

--
Arnulf B. Christl