Dot density maps

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 9 16:36:44 EST 2005

Hi Steve,

You can display mapinfo tab files as layers in mapserver, 'autostyled'
so that they appear the same as they would in mapinfo.

For example I have a mapserver application that displays a regional
geology layer using the standard Geological Survey of Canada colours
for the rock units.  The colours of the polygons are set in the
mapinfo files.  This results in a very simple layer in my mapserver
.map file ... instead of one that would have had 100's of separate
classes defined for each rock unit variation, that would have taken
forever to write had I used a shapefile.

I wonder if this auto styling would work for the dot density formatting.

Another possibility would be to create symbols that represent
different dot density ranges, with the range value stored as an
attribute in the polygon shapefile, and classify the mapserver layer
so that the polygons are filled with the appropriate symbol.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC