displaying mrsid files in mapserver

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 14 10:48:58 EST 2005

> Sorry for the delay.
> I couldn't send the w55d.sid mrsid file that doesn't display because it is rather large 60mb.

John,

If you can make it available for download by http somewhere, I
could still grab it pretty easily.

> below is an extract from the gdalinfo utility for w45a03.sid (3mb) and w55d.sid (60mb).
>
> I previously sent you mrsidinfo utility information for both files.
>
> any help would be much appreciated. I notice that the origin and pixel size properties in w45a03.sid are not present for w55d.sid. I get the impression that the input img file had georeferencing for w45a03.sid but this was not the case for the input tiff file for w55d.sid

The coordinate system of the first file seems pretty screwy (linear unit
is fathoms!) and what is there does not come through in the GDAL
coordinate system description.

The second file doesn't appear to have any georeferencing at all.
If it has an sdw file, I suspect the problem is that GDAL is ignoring this.
I believe there have been some recent improvements to world file
handling in GDAL so a more recent build might be slightly better.  In
any event, if you rename the .sdw to .wld, MapServer will pick it
up whether GDAL does or not.

Best regards,