map projection problem

Indictrans Team indictrans at FASTMAIL.FM
Mon Feb 21 08:43:02 EST 2005

Dear Sir,
We have installed Mapserver-4.4.1 on Debian Knoppix version 3.4, Apache
version 1.3 with support for PostGIS. We have ESRI shapefile named
maharashtra.shp which is located in /var/www/tmp/ . Below is a  mapfile
that we have created to display this shapefile.

MAP
    NAME TEST
    STATUS ON
    DEBUG ON
    IMAGETYPE PNG
    SIZE 800 500
    SHAPEPATH "/var/www/tmp"
    FONTSET "font.txt"
    EXTENT 60 50 4270 4480
    UNITS METERS
    IMAGECOLOR 240 240 240
    PROJECTION
         "proj=lcc" "lat_1=32" "lat_2=44" "lat_0=38" "lon_0=-100"
         "x_0=0" "y_0=0" "ellps=GRS80" "datum=NAD83"
    END
                WEB
                        IMAGEPATH "/var/www/tmp/"
                        IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
                        LOG "/var/www/tmp/log.txt"
                END

#               LAYER
#                       NAME "Nighttime lights"
#                       TYPE RASTER
#                       STATUS ON
#                       DATA "/var/www/tmp/maharashtra.shp"
#               END

                LAYER
                        NAME "credits"
                        STATUS DEFAULT
                        TRANSFORM FALSE
                        TYPE ANNOTATION

                        FEATURE
                                POINTS
                                       20 400

                                END
                                TEXT
                                'नमस्ते,
                                आपले
                                स्वागत
                                आहे'
                        END

                        CLASS
                                NAME 'AREA'
                                COLOR 202 1 2
                                LABEL
                                        TYPE truetype
                                        FONT Gargi
                                        ENCODING UTF-8
                                        SIZE 20
                                        POSITION CR
                                        COLOR 0 0 0
                                END
                        END
                END

                LAYER
                        NAME "boundaries"
                        TYPE POLYGON
                        STATUS ON
                        DATA "maharashtra"
                        #COLOR 233 342 123

                        PROJECTION
                                "proj=latlong"
                                "ellps=GRS80"
                                "datum=NAD83"
                        END

                        CLASS
                                NAME "US states"
                                OUTLINECOLOR 122 234 50
                                COLOR 255 255 0
                                SYMBOL 0
                        END
                END

END

We have kept this mapfile in /home/indictrans/gis/mapserverdocs/workshop
. When we run this file using the following URL:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?MODE=map&MAP=/home/indictrans/gis/mapserverdocs/workshop/font.map&layer=boundries

We get only the text layer ( Unicode characters)  on the output screen
but the image of maharashtra map (ie the shape file of maharashtra ) is
not
displayed and there is no error message also.
It is because of values of projection parameters and the extent values
of map? If yes what it should be?

Please help us in overcoming this problem as soon as possible.

with regards
Supriya
Indictrans Team