Starting a Western MapServer User's Group

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at SHAW.CA
Mon Feb 21 18:35:57 EST 2005

Subject: Starting a Western MapServer User's Group
Date: February 21, 2005 03:30 pm
From: "Mishtu Banerjee, SCIENTIFICALS" <mishtu_banerjee at telus.net>

Greetings,

We'd like to see what level of interest there is in starting a Western
Mapserver User's group.  Western could be Western Canada or U.S.  Mapserver
users are quite spread out at this end of the world, so it's often not easy
to meet in person.   We thought some sort of support group would help us all
learn from each other's experiences, even if just through Internet media.

If you haven't heard of MapServer before, we're sending you this note because
we think you might be interested in it.  MapServer is a powerful web-based
mapping application that we've found helpful for making GIS data available
quickly and easily.  It is freely available and open source.  More
information about MapServer can be found at:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu or directly from us.

Questions:

1. Are you interested in seeing a MapServer community develop in the West?

2. Would you like a mailing list?  This may be a good starting place, we'd
gladly set up a list for further discussion.

3. Would you like some kind of a collaborative web/Wiki site?

4. How are you currently using (or intending to use) MapServer, PostGIS or
other open source GIS tools.

5. What are your interests with respect to learning, or using MapServer
in your organization.

6. Do you have web-based mapping needs that a MapServer user group could help
you meet?

We'd love to hear from you, especially if you are already using MapServer and
have some projects underway.

Sincerely,
Tyler Mitchell (tylermitchell at shaw.ca)
Mishtu Banerjee (mishtu at harmeny.com)