Good GIS/Map Portal site?

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Feb 28 13:32:28 EST 2005

Chris -

Thanks for the clarification!  I usually think of a "map portal" as a
directory/index/gateway to multiple map sites.  It sounds like you're
looking for integrated sites that combine maps with other forms of
related information.  Time to put on my thinking cap (or browsing
beanie, I suppose)!

    - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Chris Andrews
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 12:46 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Good GIS/Map Portal site?

Ed

Sorry... good point. And I'm trying to come up with that definition
myself as it's quite vague in typical usage.

A GIS portal is possibly described as a site that is maintained by a
single organization or company that may offer public and internal users
access to maps, information, reports, applications, and feedback
pertaining to a specific domain or business function.  The information
and tools accessible to the user may be customized or constrained by
role- or user-level access privileges.

For example, an airline map-based portal might have four different roles
of users: general public, logged in users, frequent flyers, and various
levels of internal corporate users.  You might have access to flight
reservations, a map of your flight history, reports differentiating
business vs. personal travel, frequent flyer credit card information,
billing information, etc.

Right now there are as many opinions of what portals are as there are
GIS people out there trying to implement them.  I am very interested to
see what folks think are good examples of GIS portals and I'm always
hoping the open source community has some good leads.

Thanks again!
Chris