Howto Evaluate Performance of Mapserver/mapfiles

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 5 15:19:23 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:16:01 -0500, Stephen Woodbridge
<woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if there are any tools built into mapserver that would
> help in evaluation performance of my mapfile and help indicate things I
> might want to consider changing.
>
> Are there any useful mapfile settings or command line settings that
> would dump useful information about performance?
>
> I am looking at trying to tune some mapfiles and it would be helpful to
> know what layers got drawn, how many objects were rendered, how much
> time was spent on each layer, how many files were opened for each layer,
> etc.
>
> My mapfile is totally shapefile layers and a lot of them at that > 100
> layers.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Steve,

I would also encourage use of "real" profiling tools like
gprof on Linux or even the old approach of breaking in
the debugger to see where the time is spent (if you have
cases that take long enough to do this a few times.).

I used gprof on shp2img last fall and learned all sorts of
interesting things about the performance characterstics
of a case I was optimizing (mostly OGR issues really).  Of
course, these techniques would be hard for a non-developer
to interprete.

Best regards,