Assign special dbf to shapefile

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Fri Jan 7 08:30:34 EST 2005

Holger,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be redefining the definition of
a shapefile. As far as I know, a "shapefile" is not the .shp file, but
the collection of ".shp", ".dbf", "sbx", "sbn", and ".shx" files. I
think you'd have to seriously hack the source of mapserver to do that,
unless if you created a join on a dbf, and accessed it separately.

Why would you not want to join them? If you have access to MS Excel, it
would be as simple as copying a column across. No doubt other software
can do the same thing. You would have access to both attributes in one
shapefile. What is the actual problem that causes you not to want to
have two shapefiles, and not to want to join the attributes?

regards,

Jacob

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Sent: 1/7/2005 9:03 PM
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Assign special dbf to shapefile

Hi all,

am I able to assign a special dbf-file to a shape file? For example
rendering the 'airports.shp', but using data from
'airports_passengers.dbf'
and not from 'airports.dbf' (ensuring the correct order for the
shape-information-mapping). Or another example, render some area shapes
on
the one hand with popuplation data and on the other hand with
unemployment
data without integrating both data sets into the dbf of the shape file
and
without producing two different shape-files. I use php-mapscript and
mapserver 4.4.

HolgeR