Installation Problem - error while loading shared libraries

Craig Nakamoto craig.nakamoto at CLAERO.COM
Fri Jan 7 09:33:06 EST 2005

Hello,

I am a new user to MapServer and all my test development has occurred on
my local Windows machine.  Now I want to create a UNIX MapServer
environment and I am using Red Hat Enterprise v3.

I have reached the point of compiling MapServer itself and I use the
following configure options:

        sudo ./configure --with-proj --with-php=/usr/include/php

Everything seems to work fine, and 'configure' locates all the required,
and my requested, optional components (many of which I compiled instead
of using RPMs).

Then I do a 'make' and it looks like it works but when I try to execute
the mapserv binary I get:

[claero at cw2000 mapserver-4.4.1]$ ./mapserv
./mapserv: error while loading shared libraries: libgd.so.2: cannot open

The documentation says that 'something has gone horribly wrong' and to
email this group.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the configure output here is the excerpt regarding GD:

configure: checking for GD 2.0.12 or higher...
checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... (cached) yes
        using libgd 2.0.12 (or higher) from system libs
(-L/usr/local/lib -lgd -ljpeg -lfreetype -lpng -lz  ).
checking for gdImageCreate in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageJpeg in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageWBMP in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageStringFT in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageGifPtr in -lgd... yes
checking for gdFontGetTiny in -lgd... yes
        using GD ( -DUSE_GD_GIF -DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_GD_JPEG -DUSE_GD_WBMP
-DUSE_GD_FT -DGD_HAS_GDIMAGEGIFPTR -DGD_HAS_GETBITMAPFONTS) from system
libs.

Thanks!

Craig
 Craig Nakamoto, Senior Consultant
 IT Consulting and Services for Your Business
 Claero Systems | www.claero.com
 (403) 242-2667 x105 (phone)
 (403) 261-0718 (fax)