Dynamic selection of reference images

Rob P. rob at DATAFLOWDESIGN.COM
Wed Jan 12 12:11:38 EST 2005

Hi,
My php mapscript application needs to dynamically select a
pre-defined reference
map based on the zoomed location of the main map.  In other words, if
I am zoomed to Ohio, the reference map covering the continetal US is
used. If I am zoomed to the Alaskan North Slope, the ref map covering
Alaska is used.  The projection of the main map varies according
to location on the earth.

I did not see a way to use a pure mapscript solution for this. So, I
used the GD image and drawing functions ((ImageCreateFromPNG,
ImagePolygon) to read the appropriate reference map on which I then
draw the extents from the main map.

My question:  Can this be done with mapscript functions? And if so,
please give me a hint as how it can be done.

Thanks for your help,
Rob