TIFF displays and displays not

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Thu Jan 13 01:32:35 EST 2005

Stefan,

this may not be related to the cause, but I have had problems using TIFF from photoshop. Whatever the reason was, it wasn't because it was TIFF instead of geoTIFF, because even with a TFW file, it wouldn't display. It stayed blank. TIFF's not created by photoshop would work fine. There have been other people on the list reporting problems with TIFF from photoshop. I ended up converting to ecw.
Does your php log or webserver log give you any useful errors? Perhaps you could try writing the TIFF from a different program (irfanview?).

regards,

Jacob

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Stefan Schwarzer
Sent: 13 January 2005 14:09
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] TIFF displays and displays not

Ed,

thanks for that.

Still, I can't see the reason for that. I have two TIFF images, which seem to be perfectly similar. I have saved them both from Photoshop. So no GeoTIIFF, only normal TIFF.

How do I get the "mapserv -v" on a Windows machine?

The Linux machine is giving me this:

MapServer version 4.0 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF

SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT

INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Stefan -

The first thing I'd do is run "mapserv -v" on each machine and look for configuration differences in your two MapServer installations.  Also, check whether both are GeoTIFFs.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney

President and Chief Mapmaker

TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.