Follow up to Problems with PostGIS Display

William Hudspeth bhudspeth at EDAC.UNM.EDU
Thu Jan 13 13:10:45 EST 2005

Hello all,

I apologize for the delay in my response. My problem eventually came
down to permissions in Postgres. I had to make sure that I had a
Postgres user who had permission to select records from the data tables
of interest. I also had to make sure that this user was entered into the
pg_hba.conf file with the correct IP address, etc.

I do control the status of a layer through my script. As such, I can get
away with a "STATUS OFF" in my map file. As a user selects layers in the
legend, they are passed via CGI to the next page reload, and I can
script the changes of various flags in the map file before the map image
is redrawn.

My layer connection code in the map file was straightforward;

CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
NAME "us_cities"
CONNECTION "user=username(same as Postgres user above) dbname=database
host=hostname"
DATA "the_geom from us_cities"
STATUS OFF

If anyone would like examples of specific functionality in my python
scripting, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help, Bill