Windows 2003 Standard IIS 6.0 trouble

Zachary L. Stauber zstauber at BHINC.COM
Thu Jan 13 16:21:24 EST 2005

Hi, I'm using Windows 2003 Standard, and I'm trying to get MapServ.exe to
work on it.  Right now I'm just trying out the Itasca dataset.  It's a
permissions problem.  Does anyone have a vaguely detailed process for
setting the permissions or configuring Web Access Extensions or Application
Extensions (or whatever hates MapServer so much) so it gets past the top
level security junk in IIS 6.0?

I have the same version, 4.4.0-beta3 working fine on a Windows XP SP2
machine, with all the files in exactly the same places.  The EXE and all
DLL's are in C:\InetPub\scripts\MapServer\ the C:\Proj data has a copy of
everything it's supposed to, and the Itasca data starts in
C:\InetPub\wwwroot\MapServer\NCTCOG\mapserver_demos\workshop

Before you ask, I set all the directories mentioned above to give WebAdmin
all rights (except full control), I changed all the paths to the correct
places in the "index.html" file, which shows the Itasca map fine under
Windows XP SP2, and I added a "MapServer" entry to the Web Service
Extensions and added every EXE and DLL that it uses with "Allow."  I also
set the Web Service Extensions to "Allow" "All Unknown CGI Extensions" by
default (actually that was set when I got here).

I also made the NCTCOG directory in wwwroot a virtual directory and
set "read" permission, set execute permissions to "Script and Executables,"
and created an application extension for ".map" files and set it to the
mapserv.exe executable.  I also did all this for the
C:\InetPub\scripts\Mapserver directory just in case.

What else can I do to loosen this thing up?  Does anyone actually have it
working under Windows 2003 Standard?  I haven't found proof of this in over
a year of back archives on this mailing list.

     -Zack Stauber
      Systems Analyst
      Bohannan-Huston, Inc.
      Albuquerque, NM