Windows 2003 Standard IIS 6.0 trouble

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Sat Jan 15 05:09:58 EST 2005

  Zach,

The web service extensions may be things like .php being executed by a
PHP executable. Windows server has an Internet User. This "user" is
basically the visitor of the website, and the permissions for this user
are somewhat similar to linux, in the sense that this user must have
execute permissions in a folder, in order to make the webserver use the
executable. I did not have too much of an issue with IIS 5 in win2k, but
I agree that in windows XP, and especially when using IIS 6, the
security is not very transparent. It seems you have to specify things
three times over. If you can't get it right, or if you are not
comfortable about managing the security, perhaps Apache is a better
solution. Its security is more straightforward. We run Apache on windows
2003 server. The advantaves of 2003 server in terms of performance seem
to carry across to Apache just fine. But don't give up yet!

regards,

Jacob

-----Original Message-----
From: Zachary Stauber
To: Jacob Delfos; MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Sent: 1/15/2005 3:42 AM
Subject: RE: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Windows 2003 Standard IIS 6.0 trouble

I have the C:\proj directory, and WebAdmin has rights on that, but I’ll
take off the web services extensions for .map and Mapserv.exe. It’s
really confusing. I don’t know if I have to set “scripts and
executables” on the directory that contains mapserv.exe, or set it on
the directory that contains the HTML site that runs it, or both, or
what. And why you have to set up application extensions and web
services extensions (and what’s the difference between those anyway) on
an executable when you ALREADY set the permissions on its directory to
“scripts and executables” is beyond me. And now Mr. Greenwood says that
you also have to give the WebAdmin permission as a user to execute
something. IIS is the most convoluted thing I’ve ever seen, and it
doesn’t help that there were two different versions in Win2k, and yet
more differences between the same version 6.0 on Win2k and Win2.003k,
and Mapserv.exe doesn’t work the same on any of them. I’ve gotten it to
work on the previous two, but our web server is 2003. :( Anyway, thanks
for the enlightenment.

-Zack

_____