Installation of Mapserver

Wim Blanken w.blanken at GEON.NL
Mon Jan 17 14:23:17 EST 2005

Hello John,

Please try mapserv -v on the command line, windows will show you which dll it is missing.
Then copy this dll to windows/system32

Regards,

Wim Blanken
The Netherlands
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Hulst
  To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
  Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 8:00 PM
  Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Installation of Mapserver

  Hello all,

  I have tried to install mapserver on my Windows PC.
  I have Apachy running on it and I used the description
  that I found in the release.
  I use :PROJ_LIB  and have updated the path to the DLL's.

  Then at point 9 it goes wrong:
     9. Test MapServer by typing " http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe" on you
     browser.  It should return the following message:
     "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty."

  Instead of the "no query message" I get  the reply:

  "Internal Server Error

  Please contact the server administrator, john at hulst.name and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

  Apache/2.0.52 (Win32) Server at 83.179.14.148 Port 80
  "

  Anybody seen something simular? Since I am a newby on Apachy as well as Mapserver I hope that you can help me.

  Thanks and regards,

  John Hulst
  -------------------------------------

  Installation Instructions:
  1. Unzip the package to a directory.  For example, "C:\MapServer".
  2. View the README-Binaries.txt from "C:\Mapserver" for information on support
     compiled with this package.
  3. View README for credits and license information.
  4. View HISTORY.TXT for additional information on MapServer 4.4.1
  5. Copy mapserv.exe from "C:\MapServer\bin" to your web server's cgi-bin
     directory. (In Microsoft's IIS, this is either in "C:\Inetpub\Scripts" or
     "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin". In Apache v1.3.x, this is usually in
     "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\cgi-bin".)
  6. Copy directory "Proj" to "C:\". (You should end up with a directory
     "C:\Proj".)  Alternatively, leave the "proj" subdirectory where it is and add
     a variable called PROJ_LIB to your system environment and enter the path to
     your "proj\nad" subdirectory as the value (example: system variable: PROJ_LIB,
     value: C:\MapServer\Proj\NAD).
  7. Copy the dynamic link libraries (the files with .dll extensions) to your
     system directory--this is typically "C:\Windows\system" on Windows 98 or
     "C:\Windows\system32" on Windows 2000 and XP.  Alternatively, you can leave
     the dlls where they are and update your system PATH to include the path to
     your "bin" directory (i.e. "C:\MapServer\bin").
  8. Restart your web server.