Query by point

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Jan 17 17:25:27 EST 2005

If you are using php/mapscript, you could look at the gmap application
where there is an simple example on how to extract queries from a layer
(look into function GMapDumpQueryResults) :
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gmap-ms40.zip

Later,

Jeff Portwine wrote:

>> The error message looks like Mapserver is assuming your layer is a shape
>> file layer but that > the DATA section of your layer has no shape file
>> name associated with it.  What type of
>> layer is it you're attempting to query?
>

> I'm trying to query a points layer.     I read a bunch of long/lat
> coordinates from a database and have it plot dots on my map at those
> locations.   I want to be able to click on those and bring up information
> about those points, or ideally link to another web page.    I thought I
> could just query that point and if they were clicking on one of the
> "points"
> i had plotted bring up that information, otherwise just output "no location
> found"  or something.
>
> I guess I really don't understand how to do a query, and the documentation
> on it just doesn't make anything clear at all... and I am having trouble
> finding any examples of this sort of thing.   The GD_Demo does something
> like this but I can't seem to find the code that does it, or I may just not
> be looking for the right thing and missing it.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst