Closed Polygon

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 17 18:03:43 EST 2005

I knew that BCIT course was good for something ..

bango! ...

http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf

Page 12 defines what a polygon is according to the ESRI Shapefile format.

"A polygon consists of one or more rings. A ring is a connected
sequence of four or more points that form a closed,
non-self-intersecting loop."

Think of it this way, the simplest polygon is a triangle, but it takes
the four points to describe a polygon in a shapefile, therefore the
start and end point must be the same.

Page 13 lists some important points about polygons, one of which
explicitly states that the start and end points must be the same.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC