Closed Polygon

Rick Levine Richard_D_Levine at RAYTHEON.COM
Tue Jan 18 12:02:53 EST 2005

Ed,

Again good points all.  We wouldn't be having this discussion if I wasn't
the original nitpicker.

Thanks,

Rick

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email was typed by an infinite number of monkeys over
an infinite period of time and yet contains no information of biblical, or
any, importance.

                      "Ed McNierney"
                      <ed at topozone.com>        To:       <Richard_D_Levine at Raytheon.com>, <MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU>
                                               cc:
                      01/18/2005 11:11         Subject:  RE: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Closed Polygon
                      AM

Rick -

Not to continue to pick at this nit <G>, but the concept "closed
polygon" is by no means restricted to the "GIS domain".  It's just a
polygon, which might be used in the latest video game renderer.  It's
really just a specification question - does the format under discussion
require polygons to re-specify the first point as the last, or is that
specification assumed?  If the system is using that "hint" to decide
whether the object is an (un-closed) polyline or a (closed) polygon then
it's important.  If the object itself is flagged as being a polygon or a
polyline, then it's redundant but harmless.  I wouldn't claim either way
is "right", nor is either way the "GIS way", since it's just as relevant
to the definition of a polygon in an Adobe Acrobat document describing
an advertisement for your new GIS product as it is to the GIS product
itself.  In the Adobe Acrobat/PostScript world, yet another mechanism
(the use of the closepath operator) is used to determine whether a path
is closed (i.e like a polygon) or not.

             - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker