DBF-to-mySQL JOIN: 3 CASES

Rick Levine Richard_D_Levine at RAYTHEON.COM
Tue Jan 18 09:17:42 EST 2005

Janice,

I know of three spatial database implementations: PostGIS on PostgreSQL,
Oracle Spatial, and Informix Spatial Datablade.  This is not a complete
list, but those I know of.

I have PostGIS installed and have read all the docs, but only prototyped
with it.  It is a powerful and nicely complete implementation running on an
incredibly full featured RDBMS.  It follows the OpenGIS standards.  It's
only deficiency, to my mind, is that it doesn't handle geometries that span
the antemeridian or polar caps.

I use Oracle Spatial regularly and find it fast, powerful, and flexible.
It had better be for licensing costs that run in the tens of thousands of
dollars per server, plus maintenance costs.  It does handle the
antemeridian and the polar caps.  It gives lip service to the OpenGIS
standards, but like all things Oracle, is nonstandard enough to make
switching to another product painful.

I would never use any product from the former Informix Corp. even though
they are now owned by IBM, because I have in the past.

Rick

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is a random series of zeroes and ones and
should not be interpreted otherwise.

                      Frank Warmerdam
                      <fwarmerdam at GMAIL.CO        To:       MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
                      M>                          cc:
                      Sent by: UMN                Subject:  Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] DBF-to-mySQL JOIN: 3 CASES
                      MapServer Users List
                      <MAPSERVER-USERS at LIS
                      TS.UMN.EDU>

                      01/18/2005 12:45 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Frank Warmerdam

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:36:45 -0600, Janice Denovan
<jdenovan at georeferenceonline.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your help Frank.  I will preprocess the data for now and maybe
> upgrade to a spatial database later.  How do the spatial RDBMS products
> compare in your view ?

Janice,

I don't have particularly deep experience on the spatial RDBMS'es but I
will say if you don't have any strong pre-commitment to another one,
PostGIS
on Postgres is likely to do pretty much all you need with good performance
at
a very low (ie free) price.

Best regards,

warmerdam at pobox.com