projection questions

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Jan 21 11:23:36 EST 2005

Jeff -

Unfortunately, ESRI forgot about projections when the shapefile format
was created.  There was a later addition of a .prj file to go along with
shapefiles and describe their projection.  If you have a .prj file of
the same base name, you will have that information - I expect you do
not.

Without that information you're down to educated guesses.  There are
three likely candidates for US data - geographic (unprojected)
coordinates, a UTM projection, or a state plane projection.  If you are
dealing with a multiple-state area, state plane is unlikely.

Can you examine the coordinates in the shapefile by either using the
shpdump utility or loading the shapefile into a GIS viewer and reading
the coordinates?  For New England, geographic coordinates will have X
values ranging from around -74 to -66, and Y values between  41 and 48.
UTM coordinates will range between X values of 200000 to 700000 and Y
values between 4500000 and 5250000.  As you can see, these are obviously
different and easy to distinguish.

If you find you have values that don't match either of these, let us
know what they are; the shpdump utility will give you the bounding box
of all shapes in the shapefile, and that's a good guide.

-          Ed

Ed McNierney

TopoZone.com