projection questions

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Jan 21 12:56:45 EST 2005

Jeff -

A datum is not a projection, but a mathematical model of the Earth.  Every geographic (i.e. latitude/longitude) and projected coordinate system is expressed relative to a datum.  Many people incorrectly think that the latitude and longitude of a point are absolute, unchangeable values.  Latitude and longitude are geographic coordinates expressed relative to a datum.  If you change the datum, the coordinates will change.  In the United States, the NAD27 and NAD83 datums are commonly used.  WGS84 is also used because it is a world-wide datum, but in the USA you can consider it identical to NAD83.

For example, I'm typing this from a location that's latitude 42.5860°N, 71.5553°W in WGS84/NAD83 coordinates, and 42.5859°N, 71.5558°W in NAD27 coordinates.  Not a big difference, but a real one.

If ALL of your shapefiles are geographic NAD83, things are pretty easy.  If your input and output projections are all the same (and let's start with that case) then you can completely ignore projections.  Just be sure the extents in your .mapfile are appropriate for the area and the UNITS are DD (decimal degrees).

It sounded, however, from your last email, as if you'd already had that working.  What works and doesn't work?  Can you get one shapefile to display using latitude/longitude extents for the northeastern US?

     - Ed

From: Jeff Portwine [mailto:jdport at veritime.com]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 12:34 PM
To: Ed McNierney; MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] projection questions

As I've looked closer at some of the metadata that is available on the downloads I have, I've noticed that they sometimes say they are a geographic projection, and use datum like NAD83... so that tells me a little bit.   However I had the mistaken idea before that NAD83 was a "projection".   I really am confused about the difference between the data set and the projection.   I thought that NAD83 was a set of data that used a particular projection....  but then I noticed in at least one case the metadata showed a "geographic projection", a horizantal datum, and a vertical datum....  so I'm a bit confused.

So Assuming that all my shapefiles are Geo Lat/Long projections with NAD83 datum, how do I make them look right when they are drawn with mapserver/mapscript?

Thanks again,
Jeff