projection questions

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Jan 25 12:37:11 EST 2005

Jeff -

Using different map projections isn't rocket science, but it isn't
trivial, either.  You need to know how to describe the projection via
its parameters, and details are important.  For example, the
Massachusetts Mainland State Plane projection you mention is described
as:

PROJECTION
    "proj=lcc"
    "lat_1=42.683333333"
    "lat_2=41.716666667"
    "lat_0=41.000000000"
    "lon_0=-71.500000000"
    "x_0=200000.000"
    "y_0=750000.000"
    "ellps=GRS80"
    "datum=NAD83"
    "units=m"
    "no_defs"
END

If, however, you use cs2cs to calculate the extents you want using the
projection definition you created, then you're likely to get results
that are at least visible - you don't really need to duplicate the Mass.
State Plane coordinates.  But if you create extreme conditions you might
NOT get what you want, which is what you did with your last Transverse
Mercator definition.

Your last attempt at Transverse Mercator wasn't bad - but you forgot
that Albany is in the Western hemisphere and centered the projection in
Kyrgyzstan.  Again, details REALLY matter with projections.  They're the
perfect "garbage in, garbage out" example - you'll get exactly what you
asked for, whether you wanted it or not.  Mapping a point 180 degrees
away from the center of a Transverse Mercator projection will give you
nonsense (it's undefined in that projection), which may be why you got
nothing at all.

The old New York State Plane East Zone projection was Transverse
Mercator and is a decent starting point.  Here's what it looks like,
modified to NAD83 and meters from the original NAD27 feet:

PROJECTION
    "proj=tmerc"
    "lat_0=40.000000000"
    "lon_0=-74.333333333"
    "k=0.999967"
    "ellps=GRS80"
    "datum=NAD83"
    "units=m"
    "no_defs"
END

Use cs2cs to calculate the extents you want and give it a try.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.