Converting lat/long distance to miles.

Camden Daily cdaily at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 27 12:29:10 EST 2005

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I still can't figure this out.

I've added projection blocks for all of my layers and an output
projection as well (epsg 4326 for lat/long).  The difficulties I'm
having seem to be mostly based on the fact that I initially need to
set my extents and place various points on the map using lat/long with
units of decimal degrees.  However, when I then calculate my
distances, I'd like the results in miles.

It seems to me that I should be able to set my extents, place my
points, then reproject both the points and the layer I'm searching
against to a projection that uses meters (which I can easily convert
to miles) for the distance calculations, but this just isn't working
for me.

Here's the code I'm using to try to find distances:

  // clone the layer
  $layer = $map->getLayerByName($layer_name);
  $temp_layer = ms_newLayerObj($map, $layer);

  // clone the point
  $temp_point = ms_newPointObj();
  $temp_point->setXY($point->x, $point->y);

  // project cloned point and layer to NAD83 / Illinois East so that
our calculated distance are in meters, not dd
  $temp_point->project(ms_newprojectionobj("init=epsg:4326"),
ms_newprojectionobj("init=epsg:26971"));
  $temp_layer->setProjection("init=epsg:26971");

  // the toleranceunits don't have to be the same as the projection
units to work
  $temp_layer->set("toleranceunits", MS_MILES);

  $tolerance = 1;
  $found_flag = false;
  while (!$found_flag AND ($tolerance < 30)) {
    $temp_layer->set("tolerance", $tolerance);
    $temp_layer->queryByPoint($temp_point, MS_MULTIPLE, -1);
    $num_results = $temp_layer->getNumResults();
    if ($num_results > 0) {
      $found_flag = true; }
    else {
      $tolerance += 1; }
  }

  echo $num_results;

If I comment out the two lines that reproject the point and layer, it
works perfectly, except that my distance is in dd.  With the
reprojections, I don't get any results at all.  I don't think it's an
issue with my toleranceunits being in miles, since it works fine that
way even when my projections are in units of dd.